You are hereHome › Council Highlights for December 21, 2020
Canada's warmest welcome ®* January 18 2021
Council Highlights for December 21, 2020
2020 Committee of the Whole and Regular Council Meeting Schedule
OFFICE CLOSED (2020)
2020 Osoyoos Winter Market
2020 Christmas Artisan Market
Christmas Lite-up 2020
Family Winter Skate on December 11 at Sunbowl Arena
2021 Council and Committee Meeting Schedule
Art Gallery Creativity In Our Community January 7
Council Highlights for December 21, 2020
COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE MEETING
- Brenda and Michael Arychuk from Oliver and Osoyoos Search and Rescue made a presentation to Council on the completion of their Truck and Trailer Station and thanked the Town of Osoyoos for their contribution of $5,000.00 through the Community Grant-in-Aid Program.
- Council discussed possible uses for the new COVID-19 Resilience Infrastructure Stream (CVRIS) of the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program. Applications are due on January 27, 2021 and the program targets projects that must begin construction by September 30, 2021 and must be completed by December 31, 2021.
- Gina MacKay, Director of Planning and Development, reported to Council on the change in ownership of the remainder parcels at the top of Dividend Ridge and the proposed change of use from strata duplex to single-family residential – both of which are allowed under the current R3 zoning.
- Council reviewed the structure of the draft Official Community Plan Update and provided feedback to the Director of Planning and Development on the Community Goals and Policies section.
REGULAR OPEN MEETING
Employee Service Recognition
- Mayor McKortoff recognized and thanked the following Town employees for their service and commitment to the residents and community:
- Frank Zandvliet – 30 years of service
- Tom Snoek – 25 years of service
- Gerald Davis – 15 years of service
- Steve Shannon – 15 years of service
- Justin Price – 5 years of service
- Water Rates and Regulations Amendment Bylaw No. 1355.01, 2020 was adopted, effective January 1, 2021. This bylaw sets the water fees for users within the Town of Osoyoos, which increased by 3.22% in order to offset the increase in operating expenditures.
- Osoyoos Water District Rates and Regulations Amendment Bylaw No. 1357.02, 2020 was adopted, effective January 1, 2021. This bylaw sets the water fees for users outside of Town limits, which increased by 2.77% in order to offset the increase in operating expenditures.
- Official Community Plan Amendment Bylaw No. 1230.28, 2020 and Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.132, 2020 were read for a third time. If adopted these amendments would allow for a residential development with a maximum of 65 units to be located at 5601 Lakeshore Drive.
- Sewer Fees Bylaw No. 1368, 2020 was adopted, effective January 1, 2021. This bylaw sets the sewer fees and sewer connection fees for users within the Town of Osoyoos and users receiving extraterritorial service in the RDOS Electoral Area “A”. Fees increased by 5.20%, which is an annual increase of $14.65 for a single family residence, to offset the increase in operating expenditures.
- Waste Management Services and Regulations Bylaw No. 1370, 2020 was adopted. This bylaw establishes and sets regulations for services to collect and dispose of solid waste and recyclable materials within the Town of Osoyoos. Due to additional costs associated with replacing blue bags with recycling bins and a new contractor at the Osoyoos & District Sanitary Landfill, garbage/recycling collection fees will increase from $140.70 to $170.50 and rates at the landfill increased effective December 21, 2020.
- Revenue Anticipation Borrowing Bylaw No. 1369, 2020 was adopted. This bylaw authorizes the Town to borrow up to $1,500,000.00 to meet current expenditures and pay amounts to meet the municipalities taxing obligations.
- Council allowed staff to purchase three additional Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) with spare cylinders from Rocky Mountain Phoenix Inc. in the amount of $27,801 plus GST under the 2020 and 2021 Capital Plan. These extra units will be used with the Rapid Response Vehicle which is scheduled to be purchased next year.
- Council approved the lease between the Town of Osoyoos and Okanagan Regional Library to utilize a portion of the Sonora Community Center, located at 8505 68th Avenue, for a three year lease commencing on January 1, 2021 and ending on December 31, 2023 at the rate of $15.40 per square feet and authorized the Town’s signatories to sign the agreement.
- Council directed staff to negotiate a new lease with the Desert Park Exhibition Society in order to identify the future needs of the RV park and to identify how an upgrade will be managed. Council also directed staff to bring the RV Site upgrades forward as an item at the 2021 budget meeting.
- Council was notified that Jared Brounstein, Director of Operational Services, will bring a report to the January 26, 2021 Regular Open Meeting that will review curbside collection for organics and present changes to both operational and capital requirements which would be needed in order to provide this service to the community. The application deadline for the CleanBC Organics Infrastructure and Collection Program has been extended from January 12, 2021 to February 2, 2021.
- Council authorized the notice of intention to lease portion of the property located at 8701 Main Street to the Desert Sun Counselling and Resource Centre for a three year term commencing on January 1, 2021 at an initial rental rate of $800.00 per month.
- Councillor King attended a Zoom meeting with the Accessibility and Age-Friendly Advisory Committee. Councillor King thanked Director Gerald Davis for moving the community forward and noted that there is new exercise equipment for people with disabilities that has been purchased for the fitness room at the Sonora Centre.
- Councillor Bennett attended the School District #53 meeting.
- Councillor Bennett attended the Destination Osoyoos board meeting.
- Councillor Rhodes wished everyone a Merry Christmas and shared that he is looking forward to 2021.
- Mayor McKortoff attended the Grade 12 Capstone presentations at Osoyoos Secondary School.
- Mayor McKortoff shared that the Osoyoos Festival Society selected the best decorated houses and businesses last week. Santa and Mrs. Claus presented the winners with their awards.
- Mayor McKortoff shared that Destination Osoyoos has done a great job with listing open businesses on their website and reminded everyone to support our local businesses and shop local.
- Mayor McKortoff noted that Brock Jackson will be airing his interview with Santa Claus on December 24th at 8:15 am.
- Mayor McKortoff wished everyone a Merry and Peaceful Christmas and wished everyone a healthy and happy 2021.
Monday, 21 December, 2020
- About Osoyoos
- Animal Control & Licensing
- Anti-Idling Taking Action
- Boat Launch & Marina
- Boat Trailer & RV Parking
- Community Groups
- Events Calendar
- Memorial Benches
- Osprey Nest Live WebCam
- Parks & Recreation Facilities
- Plan an Event
- Recreation Programs
- Resort Municipality Initiative
- South Okanagan General Hospital (SOGH)
- Visiting Osoyoos
- Web Links
- Agendas, Minutes & Videos
- Annual Report
- Approaching Council
- Business Plan
- Capital and Operating Budgets
- Climate Action Recognition Program
- Committee of the Whole
- Council Members
- Financial Statements
- Mayor's Message
- Professional Reports and Studies
- Regular Council Meeting
- Role of Member of Council
- Ambulance & Police
- Bylaw Enforcement
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Community Services (Recreation)
- Corporate Services
- Curbside Garbage & Recycling
- Customer Service Feedback
- Emergency Preparedness
- Fire Department
- Near-Market Housing Meadowlark Place
- Operational Services (Public Works)
- Planning & Development Services
- Property Taxes
- Recreation Programs
- Rural District Water Systems 8 & 9
- RV Sani-Dump Station Information
- I Want To...
- Business Licences/Permits
- Apply for a Community Grant
- Apply for Employment Opportunity
- Book Ice Time
- Claim my Homeowners Grant (HOG)
- Contact Us
- Find a Bylaw
- Find Dog Parks
- Find Out Landfill Hours
- Know Where to Rent/Purchase Carts for Residential Waste
- Pay by Credit Card
- Report a Street Light Out
- Submit an Event
- Submit a Request - Osoyoos Listens
- Subscribe to eNews
- View Current Water Restrictions
- View Maps
- View Osoyoos Lake Levels
- View Public Skating Schedule
- View the LIVE Osprey Nest Webcam