You are hereHome › Council Meeting Highlights for December 17, 2018
Canada's warmest welcome ®* May 23 2019
Council Meeting Highlights for December 17, 2018
Annual General Meeting on June 17, 2019
18th Annual Volunteer Appreciation Awards and Breakfast on April 6
Spirit of Osoyoos Community BBQ Fundraiser on May 3
OFFICE CLOSED (2019)
OSOYOOS MUSEUM FREE ADMISSION DAYS
Osoyoos Museum - Annual Christmas Open House
Osoyoos Museum Society Annual General Meeting
Osoyoos Museum - The Great Day of Adventure
2019 Soroptimist Spring Fashion Show
25th Annual Easter Eggstravaganza April 20, 2019
SOAP Theatre presents Lawrence & Holloman
The Art Gallery 'Trifocal Perspectives'
NOON OFFICE CLOSURE at Town Hall on April 11, 2019
Volunteers Needed for Pitch-In Week on April 27
Osoyoos Rural Fire Protection District Annual Meeting April 25
Day of Mourning on Sunday, April 28
Hike for Hospice on May 5 - Oliver
Osoyoos Lake Water Quality Society 2019 AGM on May 8
Art Gallery Opening Reception for Authenticity on May 2
Naloxone Training at Sonora Community Centre on May 6
2019 Music in the Park
Meadowlark Festival May 16-20
2019 Cactus Jalopies 15th Annual Desert Wine Tour
Parks Canada Public Information Session May 15, 2019
2019 Shred It and Forget It Event on May 25
71th Annual Cherry Fiesta July 1, 2019
2019 Osoyoos Market on Main
2019 Business Promoting Business Networking Night May 15
Request for Proposal (RFP) Platform Lift for Sun Bowl Arena
Osoyoos Lawn Bowling Club Free Intro Lessons
Osoyoos Lawn Bowling Club Public Drop-In
Council Meeting Highlights for December 17, 2018
Click on button to watch the video of the Committee of the Whole, Regular Open Meeting and the Public Hearing.
COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE
- MLA Linda Larson Congratulated the Mayor on being named chair of the Okanagan Basin Water Board and Congratulated Council on their recent election. MLA Larson stated it is projected the Proportional Representation Referendum will be a very close race and the majority of the people in this riding want to keep the current system. The largest percentage of the ballots came from rural BC. MLA Larson has had nothing come across her desk regarding the new education formula or project coming out.
- Bill Newell, CAO of the RDOS gave Council an overview of the RDOS. CAO Newell stated that the RDOS does not do anything with roads which is under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure. The RDOS does not do a whole lot with Water Systems, Waste Water and Recreation. The RDOS runs similar programs as municipalities but it is done geographically.
- Doug Robb from the Osoyoos Golf Club presented Council with the irrigation situation at the Golf Course. Delivery of water is a big issue for the Golf Course. The Golf Course is in the process of applying for a $1.7 million-dollar grant through the Investing in Canada Infrastructure program. The deadline for the application is January 23rd. If the Golf Course receives the grant, they would like to start the project in October/November. The Golf Course is looking for Bridge Financing to get them through the project. The project is for nine holes on the Park Meadows area of the Golf Club.
- Brian Rawlings from the Rotary Club of Osoyoos would love to have their name more established in the community as a permanent fixture and suggested that the Park at the end of Cottonwood Drive be named after the Rotary Club of Osoyoos. The Rotary Club of Osoyoos would look to that park as a project whether it be capital projects, benches or picnic tables, beach improvements. The Rotary Club of Osoyoos would work as a team with the Town to make it happen.
- The Director of Planning and Development Services provided Council with a Business Licence Update. Council directed staff to proceed with the preparation of a new tiered business licence bylaw for Council’s review and discussion.
REGULAR OPEN MEETING
- Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.113, 2018 was read first and second time. A Public Hearing is set for January 21, 2019 at 4:00pm in Council Chambers. The purpose of this amendment would allow for a site specific retail cannabis store to be located at 8322 Main Street. The amendment is required as retail cannabis sales are not permitted use within the Town of Osoyoos.
- Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.110, 2018 was read a third time. The purpose of this amendment would allow for a site specific retail cannabis store to be located at 8304 72nd Avenue.
- Council gave requested additional information related to the total costs of installing the lift at Desert Park and/or moving the project to the Sun Bowl Arena or the Curling Club prior to making a project decision. Council awarded the tender to Kirkwood Elevators to install at Desert Park. After a site inspection Kirkwood Elevators has advised staff that this cost will be increased to $40,500.
- Council will not be providing a letter to Kulvir Panaich for support of the application for 4 taxi licenses.
- Councillor Bennett attended the Fire Hall Master Plan Meeting.
- Councillor Bennett attended Cod Gone Wild.
- Councillor Bennett attended the Open House at the Distillery.
- Councillor Bennett attended the School District #53 meeting.
- Councillor Rhodes Congratulated Mayor McKortoff on her appointment as the Chair of the Okanagan Basin Water Board.
- Councillor Rhodes attended the Regional District Budget Meetings.
- Councillor King attended the open house on the Transit Action Plan.
- Councillor King attended the Strategic Planning Session.
- Councillor King attended the Fire Hall Master Plan.
- Councillor Harvey attended the Strategic Planning Session.
- Councillor Harvey attended the Fire Hall Master Plan.
- Mayor McKortoff thanked Town staff for making Osoyoos look festive
- Mayor McKortoff advised that Osoyoos Today has a map of homes in the community who have Christmas light displays.
- Mayor McKortoff advised that the Town Office will be closed December 24th at noon to January 2nd.
- Mayor McKortoff Wishes everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2019.
SPECIAL OPEN MEETING
- The Official Community Plan Amendment Bylaw No. 1230.21, 2018 and Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.108, 2018 (9110 and 9120 Main Street) was read a third time. The applicant is proposing to develop these two vacant parcels with a 47 unit Townhome development. It is proposed that 14 of the townhomes will have basement suites.
Copies of reports are available within the Council Agenda packages located on the Town’s website www.osoyoos.ca.
The public is encouraged to attend the Committee of the Whole meetings which take place in Council Chambers at 9:00 am on the morning of the Regular Open Council meetings at 2:00 pm to learn additional in-depth information regarding upcoming business.
- About Osoyoos
- Animal Control & Licensing
- Anti-Idling Taking Action
- Boat Launch & Marina
- Boat Trailer & RV Parking
- Community Groups
- Events Calendar
- Memorial Benches
- Osprey Nest Live WebCam
- Parks & Recreation Facilities
- Recreation Programs
- Resort Municipality Initiative
- South Okanagan General Hospital (SOGH)
- Special Events
- Visiting Osoyoos
- Web Links
- Agendas, Minutes & Videos
- Annual Report
- Approaching Council
- Business Plan
- Capital and Operating Budgets
- Climate Action Recognition Program
- Committee of the Whole
- Council Members
- Financial Statements
- Mayor's Message
- Parks and Trails Master Plan
- Professional Reports and Studies
- Regular Council Meeting
- Role of Member of Council
- Ambulance & Police
- Bylaw Enforcement
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Community Services (Recreation)
- Corporate Services
- Curbside Garbage & Recycling
- Customer Service Feedback
- Emergency Preparedness
- Fire Department
- Near-Market Housing Meadowlark Place
- Operational Services (Public Works)
- Planning & Development Services
- Property Taxes
- Recreation Programs
- Rural District Water Systems 8 & 9
- RV Sani-Dump Station Information
- I Want To...
- Apply for a Building Permit
- Business Licences/Permits
- Apply for a Community Grant
- Apply for Employment Opportunity
- Book Ice Time
- Contact Us
- Find a Bylaw
- Find Dog Parks
- Find Out Landfill Hours
- Pay my Property Taxes
- Report a Street Light Out
- Submit a Request - Osoyoos Listens
- Subscribe to eNews
- View Current Water Restrictions
- View Maps
- View Osoyoos Lake Levels
- View Public Skating Schedule
- View the LIVE Osprey Nest Webcam