You are hereHome › Council Meeting Highlights for February 18, 2020
Canada's warmest welcome ®* May 31 2020
Council Meeting Highlights for February 18, 2020
2020 Committee of the Whole and Regular Council Meeting Schedule
OFFICE CLOSED (2020)
Oliver Osoyoos Wine Country Pig Out Festival May 2
Elvis on Tour Concert April 10, 2020
POSTPONED Large (Bulky) Items Curbside Garbage Collection
Earth Day 50th Anniversary on April 22
NOTICE Regular Open Meeting of May 4, 2020 Cancelled
2020 Virtual Hike for Hospice until May 31
Mental Health Wellness In COVID-19 Crisis Workshop
Agriculture Wildfire Preparedness Information Exchange
Council Meeting Highlights for February 18, 2020
Click on button to watch the video of the Committee of the Whole, Regular Open, Public Hearing, and Special Open meetings.
- John Kurvink, RDOS Manager of Finance, presented the RDOS 2020 Draft Budget to Council.
REGULAR OPEN MEETING
- Sergeant Jason Bayda introduced Superintendent Brian Hunter, who started February 5th at the Regional Detachment, to Council. Sergeant Bayda also indicated to Council that the additional Osoyoos member position should be filled by this summer.
- Council approved OCP and Zoning Application #Z20-01 and Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.131, 2020 was read for a first and second time. If adopted this amendment would rezone the property at 2 Braeburn Place from R7 High Density Residential to R1 Single Family Residential, which would match the surrounding properties. Council also set a Public Hearing date for March 16, 2020 at 4:00 pm in Council Chambers at Town Hall for the Zoning Amendment Bylaw and associated Official Community Plan Amendment Bylaw. First and second reading was also granted to Official Community Plan Amendment Bylaw No. 1230.27, 2020, which would include the subject property in the urban growth boundary and re-designate it in Schedule A of the OCP from High Density Residential to Low Density Residential. A public meeting to provide the community an opportunity for input into the OCP amendment, in addition to the required public hearing, will be forthcoming in the near future.
- Council authorized the issuance of Development Permit No. 20-01 for the Form and Character of the building located at 8702 Main Street – the future home of the Osoyoos Museum.
- Council supported applications to the Tire Stewardship BC Grant and the Kal Tire Grant for the purpose of installing pour in place rubber tire surfacing at Kinsmen Park in order to provide easier access to the adapted swing.
- Council approved the changes to the Sun Bowl Arena Management Agreement and authorized Town signatories to execute the agreement.
- Council approved the agreement with the Penticton Model Aviation Club for use of the Osoyoos Airport for the term January 1 to December 31, 2020 and authorized the Town’s signatories to execute the agreement.
- Council approved the funding of $7,000.00 for the Festival Society and $7,000.00 for the Fireworks Committee to be funded from the Resort Municipality Initiative for 2020.
- Council authorized the notice of intention to lease the property located at the east end of the back parking lot at the Sonora Community Centre for 5 years to the Desert Sun Counselling and Resource Center. The property is to be used as a community garden.
- Council approved the Licence to Use to the Wine Country Racing Association for 2020 and authorized the Town’s signatories to execute the agreement
- Council opted to provide a letter of support to the Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch for the Osoyoos Indian Band’s application for a licence to operate a Community Gaming Centre on Band lands located across the street from the Petro Canada Gas Station on Highway 3 in Osoyoos.
- Councillor Harvey attended the Traffic Safety Committee meeting.
- Councillor King attended the Age Friendly and Accessibility meeting.
- Councillor Bennett attended a meeting with MP Richard Cannings.
- Councillor Bennett attended the School District #53 meeting.
- Councillor Bennett donated blood in Penticton and encouraged people to do so as well.
- Mayor McKortoff and Councillor King attended the Community Safety meeting in Oliver.
- Mayor McKortoff and Councillor Bennett attended the Primary Care Network meeting.
- Mayor McKortoff and Councillor King attended the meeting with volunteer groups and Town staff.
- Mayor McKortoff encouraged residents to be proactive and be prepared for flooding.
- A Public Hearing was held in the Council Chambers on February 18, 2020 at 4:00 pm for Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.130, 2020. If approved this amendment would add the use of Shopping Centre to the C7 Special Commercial Zone. 5820 89th Avenue is the only property in Osoyoos with this zoning.
Special Open Meeting
- Jim Zakall, Director of Financial Services, presented the Town of Osoyoos’ 2020 Operating and 5 Year Capital/Project Plan. This meeting was held in order to provide the community with an opportunity to comment on the Town’s Financial Plan and can be viewed by clicking here. A number of community members attended the meeting and addressed Council with respect to the Financial Plan.
Copies of reports are available within the Council Agenda packages located on the Town’s website www.osoyoos.ca.
The public is encouraged to attend the Committee of the Whole meetings which take place in Council Chambers at 9:00 am on the morning of the Regular Open Council meetings at 2:00 pm to learn additional in-depth information regarding upcoming business.
- About Osoyoos
- Animal Control & Licensing
- Anti-Idling Taking Action
- Boat Launch & Marina
- Boat Trailer & RV Parking
- Community Groups
- Events Calendar
- Memorial Benches
- Osprey Nest Live WebCam
- Parks & Recreation Facilities
- Plan an Event
- Recreation Programs
- Resort Municipality Initiative
- South Okanagan General Hospital (SOGH)
- Visiting Osoyoos
- Web Links
- Agendas, Minutes & Videos
- Annual Report
- Approaching Council
- Business Plan
- Capital and Operating Budgets
- Climate Action Recognition Program
- Committee of the Whole
- Council Members
- Financial Statements
- Mayor's Message
- Professional Reports and Studies
- Regular Council Meeting
- Role of Member of Council
- Ambulance & Police
- Bylaw Enforcement
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Community Services (Recreation)
- Corporate Services
- Curbside Garbage & Recycling
- Customer Service Feedback
- Emergency Preparedness
- Fire Department
- Near-Market Housing Meadowlark Place
- Operational Services (Public Works)
- Planning & Development Services
- Property Taxes
- Recreation Programs
- Rural District Water Systems 8 & 9
- RV Sani-Dump Station Information
- I Want To...
- Business Licences/Permits
- Apply for a Community Grant
- Apply for Employment Opportunity
- Book Ice Time
- Claim my Homeowners Grant (HOG)
- Contact Us
- Find a Bylaw
- Find Dog Parks
- Find Out Landfill Hours
- Know Where to Rent/Purchase Carts for Residential Waste
- Pay by Credit Card
- Report a Street Light Out
- Submit an Event
- Submit a Request - Osoyoos Listens
- Subscribe to eNews
- View Current Water Restrictions
- View Maps
- View Osoyoos Lake Levels
- View Public Skating Schedule
- View the LIVE Osprey Nest Webcam