You are hereHome › Council Meeting Highlights for March 2, 2020
Canada's warmest welcome ®* October 23 2020
Council Meeting Highlights for March 2, 2020
2020 Committee of the Whole and Regular Council Meeting Schedule
OFFICE CLOSED (2020)
RESCHEDULED Large (Bulky) Items Curbside Garbage Collection
2020 Osoyoos Market On Main
Art Gallery Summer Artisan Market Extended Through September 19
The Osoyoos Art Gallery Presents The Okanagan and Beyond
International Osoyoos Lake Board of Control Virtual Public Meeting October 8
9th Annual United Way Drive Thru Breakfast October 8
Art Gallery Creativity In Our Community Application Deadline Nov 21
Osoyoos Credit Union Trick or Treat Main Street Virtual Edition
Council Meeting Highlights for March 2, 2020
Click on button to watch the video of the Committee of the Whole, Regular Open, and Public Hearing meetings.
- Denise Eastlick, Executive Director, and Jayme Friedt, Managing Director, from the Osoyoos Desert Society presented an update to Council. Ms. Eastlick is stepping down as Executive Director after twelve years with the society, while Ms. Friedt has taken on the role of Managing Director for the Desert Centre.
- Brenda Arychuk, Secretary, and Kyle Fossett, Vice President, from Oliver/Osoyoos Search and Rescue (OOSAR) presented an update to Council. Ms. Arychuk thanked Council for their letter of support in 2019, which assisted with OOSAR receiving a Capital Gaming Grant of $100,000.00 for a truck and trailer station.
REGULAR OPEN MEETING
- Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.130, 2020 was read for a third time. If approved this amendment would add the use of Shopping Centre to the C7 Special Commercial Zone – 5820 89th Avenue is the only property in Osoyoos with this zoning.
- Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.129, 2020 was reread for a second time, due to the legal description being incorrect at initial reading. If adopted this amendment would allow for a residential unit, to be used for employee housing, to be located within the existing commercial building at 5401 Lakeshore Drive (Casa del Milo Oro). Council also set a Public Hearing date for March 16, 2020 at 4:00 pm in Council Chambers at Town Hall.
- Council directed staff to request detailed financial information from the Osoyoos Lake Paddle Club in order to reconsider their request for Resort Municipality Initiative (RMI) funding.
- Council opted to fund the Osoyoos Museum’s request in the amount of $10,562.00 from reserves in order to offset the costs associated with the development and building permits for the renovations at the new museum.
- Council denied the request from Sy Murseli to hire a Civil Engineer as services required to fully equip an engineering department are not feasible for a small municipality.
- Council denied the request from Ms. Calisto for additional funding for children’s programming and opted to maintain the budget for Children’s Programs as presented, which has increased by 7.22% for 2020.
- Council authorized staff to award a contract to SAHURI + Associates Architecture Inc. for the Town Hall Space Needs Assessment and Pre-Design project for a total fixed lump sum price of $79,720.00.
- Councillors King and Bennett attended the South Okanagan Chamber of Commerce Business after Business event.
- Councillor Bennett attended the meeting at RDOS for bike trails.
- Councillor Bennett attended the meeting with the Destination Osoyoos marketing board.
- Councillor Bennett attended the quarterly meeting with the Municipal Insurance Association.
- Councillor Harvey attended the quarterly meeting of the Okanagan Regional Library board.
- Mayor McKortoff attended a Climate Change workshop.
There were two public hearings held:
- A Public Hearing was held in the Council Chambers on March 2, 2020 at 4:00 pm for Official Community Plan Amendment Bylaw No. 1230.25, 2020 and Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.127, 2020. If adopted these amendments would allow for the implementation of Phase 2 of the Meadowlark Plan. Members of the public were generally in favour of the additional near market housing but did raise concerns with traffic safety, the highway crossing, and environmental protection of the existing pond. Video of the hearing can be viewed here.
- A Public Hearing was held in Council Chambers, immediately following the above meeting, for Official Community Plan Amendment Bylaw No. 1230.26 and Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.128, 2020. If adopted these amendments would allow for the implementation of Phase 3 of the Meadowlark Plan. Video of the hearing can be viewed here, beginning at the 56 minute, 35 second mark.
Copies of reports are available within the Council Agenda packages located on the Town’s website www.osoyoos.ca.
The public is encouraged to attend the Committee of the Whole meetings which take place in Council Chambers at 9:00 am on the morning of the Regular Open Council meetings at 2:00 pm to learn additional in-depth information regarding upcoming business.
- About Osoyoos
- Animal Control & Licensing
- Anti-Idling Taking Action
- Boat Launch & Marina
- Boat Trailer & RV Parking
- Community Groups
- Events Calendar
- Memorial Benches
- Osprey Nest Live WebCam
- Parks & Recreation Facilities
- Plan an Event
- Recreation Programs
- Resort Municipality Initiative
- South Okanagan General Hospital (SOGH)
- Visiting Osoyoos
- Web Links
- Agendas, Minutes & Videos
- Annual Report
- Approaching Council
- Business Plan
- Capital and Operating Budgets
- Climate Action Recognition Program
- Committee of the Whole
- Council Members
- Financial Statements
- Mayor's Message
- Professional Reports and Studies
- Regular Council Meeting
- Role of Member of Council
- Ambulance & Police
- Bylaw Enforcement
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Community Services (Recreation)
- Corporate Services
- Curbside Garbage & Recycling
- Customer Service Feedback
- Emergency Preparedness
- Fire Department
- Near-Market Housing Meadowlark Place
- Operational Services (Public Works)
- Planning & Development Services
- Property Taxes
- Recreation Programs
- Rural District Water Systems 8 & 9
- RV Sani-Dump Station Information
- I Want To...
- Business Licences/Permits
- Apply for a Community Grant
- Apply for Employment Opportunity
- Book Ice Time
- Claim my Homeowners Grant (HOG)
- Contact Us
- Find a Bylaw
- Find Dog Parks
- Find Out Landfill Hours
- Know Where to Rent/Purchase Carts for Residential Waste
- Pay by Credit Card
- Report a Street Light Out
- Submit an Event
- Submit a Request - Osoyoos Listens
- Subscribe to eNews
- View Current Water Restrictions
- View Maps
- View Osoyoos Lake Levels
- View Public Skating Schedule
- View the LIVE Osprey Nest Webcam