You are hereHome › Council Meeting Highlights May 7, 2018
Canada's warmest welcome ®* May 25 2020
Council Meeting Highlights May 7, 2018
2020 Committee of the Whole and Regular Council Meeting Schedule
OFFICE CLOSED (2020)
Oliver Osoyoos Wine Country Pig Out Festival May 2
Elvis on Tour Concert April 10, 2020
POSTPONED Large (Bulky) Items Curbside Garbage Collection
Earth Day 50th Anniversary on April 22
NOTICE Regular Open Meeting of May 4, 2020 Cancelled
2020 Virtual Hike for Hospice until May 31
Mental Health Wellness In COVID-19 Crisis Workshop
Agriculture Wildfire Preparedness Information Exchange
Council Meeting Highlights May 7, 2018
Click on button to watch the video of the Committee of the Whole, Regular Open Meeting, Special Open and Public Hearing.
Committee of the Whole Regular Open Meeting
COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE MEETING
- Christopher Lewis, Grade 3 Teacher & Students at Osoyoos Elementary School made a presentation to the Council. Mr. Lewis has implemented a behavior management classroom economy for students in grade 3. Mr. Lewis wants to teach the student’s life skills and there are four main goals that they can use throughout their life: participation in real life economy, learning that choices they make have an opportunity cost, learning value of a paycheck and learning how to budget.
- Proposed Design for New Main Sewage Lift Station – The Director of Operational Services gave council a project update on the Proposed Design for the New Main Sewage Lift Station.
- Records Management System – The Director of Corporate Services advised about the Town’s Records Management System. Council directed staff to bring the following to the May 22nd Regular Open Meeting for consideration, Town of Osoyoos Records Management Bylaw No. 1341, 2018, Records Management Policy CORP-012, Council Protocol and Records Management Policy CCL-003, Amendment to Progressive Discipline Policy HR-020, Amendment to Council Procedure Bylaw No. 1271, 2010 and Replacement of Document Retention Procedure PR-CORP-006.
- Emergency Management Update – The Director of Corporate Services gave an update on the Osoyoos Lake and Similkameen River. The Director encouraged everyone who flooded last year to take precaution and start sandbagging now. Anyone wishing to volunteer to help sandbag can contact the Town Office and the Town can provide information to those who need it.
- Fire Protection and Life Safety Bylaw No. 1333, 2018 – The Chief Administrative Officer gave a report on the Fire Protection and Life Safety Bylaw No. 1333, 2018. Council directed staff to bring to Council for debate and decision.
REGULAR OPEN MEETING
Business arising from prior minutes
- The Chief Administrative Officer reported about the Osoyoos Housing Society (OHS) Temporary Housing Project. Council approved entering into an agreement with the Osoyoos Indian Band to change the no build covenant in the Assumption Agreement to enable the Housing Societyinstallation of a 49 unit residential camp for a maximum 5 year period. Council approved providing a subsidy to the Osoyoos Housing Society that will include the waiver of water and sewer hookup and inspection fees and capacity charges related to sewer and fire services and that the cost be no more than $17,500.00 subject to the signing of a Council approved Affordable Housing Supply Agreement. Council directed administration to develop the needed service agreements with the Osoyoos Indian Band and the Osoyoos Housing Society (OHS) to enable the development of the housing camp and that all administrative and legal costs be the responsibility of OHS.
- Council provided the requested $2500 using the community development funds for the meal and makes the BC Growers’ fund available to improve the camping area on the Church grounds.
- Museum Parcel Tax Amendment Bylaw No. 1300.03, 2018 was adopted. This amendment bylaw is to update the parcel tax bylaw to ensure the rate is consistent with the rate being charged to area “A” residents. The 2018 rate established is $14.64
- Osoyoos Tax Rates Bylaw No. 1344, 2018 was adopted. This Bylaw will update the tax rates for 2018, with due date being July 3rd, 2018
- Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.105, 2018 (Housekeeping Improvements) was read a third time as amended by first removing the proposed Section 4.22 Supportive Recovery.
- Foreshore and Lake Zoning Bylaw Amendment No. 1294.03, 2018 (Wibit) was read a third time.
- Council authorized and supported the ALR Exclusion application (ALC File: 57433 Town File: A18-01) for Lot 621, DL2450S, SDYD Plan 1950 except Plans 10986 and 13112 proceeding to the Agriculture Land Commission.
- Council approved the proposed mobile vending application for Peddles and Popsicles street food vendors application 2018.
- Council approved retaining the services of MVH Urban Design and Planning Inc. to prepare a Town Centre Renewal Plan for a total contract price not to exceed $55,000.
- Councillor King attended the BBQ fundraiser at the Gyro Park. Thanked Town Staff for putting the event together.
- Councillor King attended the Hike for Hospice Walk.
- Councillor Rhodes advised that work has started on the New Dog Park. Encouraged residents to contact Councillor Rhodes if you have any suggestions or ideas to improve the park.
- Councillor Youngberg attended the SILGA Convention in Revelstoke
- Councillor Youngberg encouraged residents to attend the Public Consultation meeting for the Airport at Sonora Centre on May 7th and May 8th.
- Councillor Youngberg encouraged everyone to come out on and cheer on everyone participation in the Big Bike Ride on May 9th.
- Mayor McKortoff thanked Town staff for organizating the BBQ Fundraiser for the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
- Mayor McKortoff encouraged residents to attend Market on Main which is held every Saturday at Town square until the end of September from 9:00 am– 1:00 pm.
- Mayor McKortoff received the community Recognition Merit award for its support of the BC Wood Industry and its commitment to use wood from Woodworks Canada for the Osoyoos Fire Hall.
- Mayor McKortoff encouraged residents to attend the Medieval Faire being held at Desert Park.
Copies of reports are available within the Council Agenda packages located on the Town’s website www.osoyoos.ca.
The public is encouraged to attend the Committee of the Whole meetings which take place in Council Chambers at 9:00 am on the morning of the Regular Open Council meetings at 2:00 pm to learn additional in-depth information regarding upcoming business.
- About Osoyoos
- Animal Control & Licensing
- Anti-Idling Taking Action
- Boat Launch & Marina
- Boat Trailer & RV Parking
- Community Groups
- Events Calendar
- Memorial Benches
- Osprey Nest Live WebCam
- Parks & Recreation Facilities
- Plan an Event
- Recreation Programs
- Resort Municipality Initiative
- South Okanagan General Hospital (SOGH)
- Visiting Osoyoos
- Web Links
- Agendas, Minutes & Videos
- Annual Report
- Approaching Council
- Business Plan
- Capital and Operating Budgets
- Climate Action Recognition Program
- Committee of the Whole
- Council Members
- Financial Statements
- Mayor's Message
- Professional Reports and Studies
- Regular Council Meeting
- Role of Member of Council
- Ambulance & Police
- Bylaw Enforcement
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Community Services (Recreation)
- Corporate Services
- Curbside Garbage & Recycling
- Customer Service Feedback
- Emergency Preparedness
- Fire Department
- Near-Market Housing Meadowlark Place
- Operational Services (Public Works)
- Planning & Development Services
- Property Taxes
- Recreation Programs
- Rural District Water Systems 8 & 9
- RV Sani-Dump Station Information
- I Want To...
- Business Licences/Permits
- Apply for a Community Grant
- Apply for Employment Opportunity
- Book Ice Time
- Claim my Homeowners Grant (HOG)
- Contact Us
- Find a Bylaw
- Find Dog Parks
- Find Out Landfill Hours
- Know Where to Rent/Purchase Carts for Residential Waste
- Pay by Credit Card
- Report a Street Light Out
- Submit an Event
- Submit a Request - Osoyoos Listens
- Subscribe to eNews
- View Current Water Restrictions
- View Maps
- View Osoyoos Lake Levels
- View Public Skating Schedule
- View the LIVE Osprey Nest Webcam